Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:34:11 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   TCP/IP net printers

<<On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 18:11:34 +0200, "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> said:

> I got a DecLaser 3500 new in my office.
> All I got from the VAX/VMS/NT admin guy (VMS 6.x)
> is that it is connected to either \\printe\ln14-e5l
> or TCP/IP www.xxx.yyy.zz Port 10001.

> I could connect to this printer using smbprint (samba)
> but the question came up in me "How does FreeBSD
> cope with these TCP/IP printservers"?

It doesn't.  Normally the printers come with some software which can
be used as an `of=' output filter, which actually does the appropriate
connection to the remote device.  You might try:

	ttcp -t -p 10001 www.xxx.yyy.zzz 2>/dev/null

in an output filter script.  Probably lpd should be capable of doing
this (when I was at UVM we had such a one).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.