Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:59:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>, <pzouzounis@i-star.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Fwd: yahoo clubs for teens pornographic

Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es> types:
> === PATRICIA ZOUZOUNIS escribia
> (Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 03:54:53PM -0500):
> > dear sirs,
> > i iam a mother of a 13yr old son. one day i was looking on the
> > web for some clubs for my son to join and i ran across yahoo's clubs for teens.
> > i was shocked to find what i did. there are clubs listed there
> > that no parent would want there children to see. some of the titles
> > include: jack off buddies, teen cocks rock, hot lesbian teens and
> > several others. none of these sites are password protected. the next
> > thing i did was try to find a email address for yahoo but i could not
> > find one anywhere. i then noticed that your company was working with
> > yahoo. so i would like to know if you want to be affiliated with a
> > company that is clearly and deliberatly making this trash available to
> > our kids? does anyone in your company have kids? log on and see what
> > you think. i know yahoo will never listen to me but they may listen to
> > you and the other companys i intend to notify. you can also relay to
> > them i intend to let every major television network in on what i found.
> > will anyone ever start taking moral responsibilty?.
> 	I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong: it's not
> that FreeBSD works with Yahoo, but it's rather a matter of Yahoo
> using FreeBSD. I don't think FreeBSD has anything to do with the
> world's sanity, but the world's sanity has a lot to do with the
> education we give our children. You are obviously a responsible
> mother, but I believe you are aiming at the wrong target here.

FreeBSD is a favorite platform for lots of web sites, including many
porn sites. There's not much that FreeBSD users or developers can do
to prevent that, other than not talk about it. Which is pretty much
what all large companies that have an "adult-themed" cash cows do
(except, of course, the FreeBSD group is a non-profit).

Having waded through the clubs a bit, it looks like Yahoo lets people
create boards for whatever topic they want to talk about. Sex is
something teenagers want to talk about, so they create clubs for
it. I'd say it's clear that Yahoo is not "clearly and deliberately
making such trash available", any more than the local schools - where
the kids certainly talk about sex as well - are doing so. There are
sound legal and financial reasons for Yahoo *not* to censor the clubs
created by it's users. I'd like to point out that gay teenagers in
particular may well have no one locally to talk to about such things,
and the internet has almost universally been lauded for providing such
a place.

The real worry about such clubs is that they will naturally attract
pedophiles (who probably didn't have a place to talk about sex as
teenagers). The best way to deal with that is the same as any other
danger the world presents our children - make sure they know about the
danger: what it is, how to recognize it, and how to avoid it.

In answer to your question - yes, I have children; two boys. My goal
has always been that they understand the world and make informed
decisions, not hide it from them so they don't recognize a potential
danger until it's to late. Personally, I found explaining sex a *lot*
easier than explaining the Maginot line.

	<mike