Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:20:29 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Neumann <mneumann@ntecs.de>
Subject:   Re: Xen Status : FreeBSD-current as Dom/U.

On October 15, 2007 04:08 pm Michael Neumann wrote:
> Freddie Cash schrieb:
> > On October 15, 2007 11:27 am Vincent Blondel wrote:
> >> I am trying to install FreeBSD-current as Dom/U on my Core2 Quad
> >> server hosting Linux Ubuntu 7.10 as Dom/0.
> >
> > Is that a quad-core CPU or a quad-CPU system?
> >
> > If it's a quad-core CPU, it should support Intel hardware
> > virtualisation feature.  If it does, you don't need any Xen patches
> > or support in FreeBSD.  Just create a Xen VM that supports hardware
> > virtualisation (not a paravirtualised VM) and install FreeBSD as per
> > normal.  That's the beauty of the Intel VT and AMD VX (or whatever
> > they call it now) features -- no need to patch an OS to run in a Xen
> > VM.
>
> Does anybody know if there are big differences in performance
> of running an unchanged OS under Xen with hardware virtualization
> turned on vs. a paravirtualized OS? Or any other problems with an
> unchanged OS using hardware virtualization? If not, then this is
> clearly the way to go!

Haven't tested it yet, personally.

We're trying to track down a Tyan motherboard that will support AMD CPUs=20
with hardware virtualisation, with hardware support for Debian Linux 4.0=20
and FreeBSD 6.2.  Once we have that, then we're going to start testing=20
running Xen with a Debian host, Debian guests (paravirtualised and full=20
virtualised), and FreeBSD guests (para and full).

=46rom what I've read online, full virtualised Xen VMs with Xen 3.0.3 is=20
slower than paravirtualised Xen VMs.  However, I can't find a definite=20
answer to what "slower" is.  :)

=2D-=20
=46reddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fjwcash+freebsd@gmail.com