Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:06:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        armin@openBSD.de, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio overflows

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > i have set up my alpha to dial an ISP with pppd.
> > > When dialing out via cuaa0 or ttyd0 i get massive sio overflows.
> > > I configure the serial port with the /etc/rc.serial script as a  modem
> > > port with 57600 baud.
> > >
> > > This happens even at a 9600 baud connection when receiving or sending
> > > files via ftp.  top reports a totally idle system while the sio overflows
> > > occur. The kernel reports cuaa0 to be a 16550 UART which is true.
> > >
> > > OS is 0524 snapshot,
> > > Hardware: PC164, 500mHz, 128mb ram, ncr53C810, S3 vga
> > >
> > > Any suggestions ?
> >
> > This is a known problem but I don't have a solution as yet.
>
> There was a patch (before the bus stuff went in), posted to the
> alpha list a while back, that added FASTINTR support for the
> Alpha.  The SILO overflows are a result of that support not
> having been integrated.

Are you absolutely sure about this? I have been following this list pretty
carefully over the last year and I don't recall anything of this nature.

> It's my understanding that since the bus stuff went into the Alpha
> before it went into the x86, the patch may still be good.

The Alpha used the new bus stuff for ISA (and everything else) from day
one.

> No, I do not have a copy of the patch that I can send you; check the
> -alpha list archives.

I can't see anything. Can you remember the subject line?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com