Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:27:44 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE broken?

On Sunday 27 March 2005 05:43 am, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:
> > it seems that options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE in the kernel conf. file
> > does not work:
> >
> > strings -n 3 /boot/kernel/kernel | sed -n 's/^___//p'
> > _````QQQQ
> > _
>
> The compiler optimizes it away because it's declared static.  I have
> no idea why this wasn't a problem before; probably a change in
> compiler flags or in the compiler itself.
>
> DES

gcc-3.4 does entire-file optimization, while 3.3 and earlier look at functi=
ons=20
at a time.  As a result, gcc is now very good at finding static unused=20
things.

We might need to do something different.  I'd almost like to insert the con=
fig=20
file into its own ELF section via objcopy...

=2DPeter