Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 12:03:41 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvSup and permissions

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.980131114918.13409A-100000@current1.whistle.com>,
Julian Elischer  <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> What are the correct permissions for the CVS tree?
> Unless I have everything rw_rw_??? with a group of 'eng' (engineering)
> people in the 'eng' group cannot use it.

The directories at least have to be group writable.  It's actually
OK if the RCS files in them are read-only.  They never get modified.
They're always copied with changes into a new file.

> however cvsup keeps changing the permissions of everything so I've had to
> add a 'chmod -R g+rw /cvs; chgrp -R cvs /cvs' to teh script that runs
> cvsup each day.

That is almost certainly because your umask is 022 when you run
cvsup.  Make sure it's 002, and you shouldn't have this problem.
The documentation isn't good in this area.

> Is access to CVS goverened entirely by file permissions?

Yes.

> We are using cvs directly on that machine, pserver mode within the
> company and rsh server elsewhere. I don't want to make cvs SUID..

That's for sure!