Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, michaelh@cet.co.jp, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> ISDN is a tool for establising rate metering for data connections.
>
> ISDN also requires that you upgrade your phone switches to a 5ESS or
> better, and pay a huge license fee to AT&T for the switch software
> to run it.

  Huh?  A good portion of telcos have Nortel or other switch types.  Even
GTEs ancient GDT-5 switch can support ISDN (however only PRI, not
consumer level BRI).

  Plus, Nortel makes ISDN channel bank gear to provide BRI service for
residentional/business use, and aggregate it into a T3 or whatever,
convert the signalling, and pipe it into the switch.  Such equipment can
be used with nearly any switch.

> US West does not offer ISDN in my service area because they have a
> single 5ESS in Tucson with the software.  If they had their way,
> they would not serve non-business customers at all, but they do so
> reluctantly to maintain their legal monopoly and to provide those
> business customers someone to whom the can make unsolicited sales
> calls.

  Well, that is just US West in your area.  I know in other areas, they
have BRI service, off DMS-100 switches.

> [ boy, did I get up on the wrong side of the bed today, or what? ]
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.