Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 09:23:05 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add Master/Slave mode?

User Dwayne wrote:

> Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> Is anyone actually _using_ the
>> Master/Slave mode feature of pkg_add?
>
> I find master/slave mode quite useful in testing out the
> packages, making sure everything will go where I need it to. I'd be
> sorry to see it be obsoleted.

How exactly are you using it?

Are you just using 'slave' mode to make sure the
package unpacks correctly?  If so, how
is that different from simply unpacking the
archive with 'tar'?

If you're using the full master/slave capability,
what script are you using between the two phases?

How does the combination of -p to set a
temporary prefix and possibly the PKG_DBDIR
environment variable (to set an alternate package
registration directory) not satisfy your need to test
package installation?

I don't want to dump a feature people are
actually using, but the new pkg_add works
quite a bit differently and master/slave
mode cannot be implemented in its current
form.  The better I understand what exactly
you're doing with it, the better I'll be able
to figure out what will fill that need.

Thanks for your help,

Tim Kientzle