Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 06:35:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Blade Runner <blade.runner@horizon.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP Forwarding

You don't need gated; that's an implementation of a routing daemon (which
includes a number of routing protocols); if your network is simple you
can probably stick with RIP (i.e. run routed) or static routes (some
people don't like RIP over slow speed serial lines, but the overhead on
14.4Kbs lines is really very small...)

What you DO need is to recompile your kernel with the

	options  GATEWAY
	options  IPFORWARDING

(I'm not sure if you need the latter; at one point you did and I've left
it in my kernel configs ever since...) statements.  Check out the FAQ for
how to rebuild and install a new kernel.

Once you have the new kernel, you must assign IP addresses to the serial
and ethernet interfaces so that they are in different subnets - for
example, if you are routing between class C network 192.1.1.0 and
192.1.2.0 you might assign the ethernet interface 192.1.1.1 and the
serial interface 192.1.2.1.  Also you'll probably need to define a
default route (if your're running routed, and your provider is using RIP,
you will probably get a default route automatically); for example

	route add default 192.1.2.1

would make the serial interface (your gateway to the world...) the
default way to send packets out (if there's no default route then the
system won't know what to do with "foreign" packets...)  You'll probably
also want to set the default routes on your ethernet connected machines
to point to the ethernet on the FreeBSD box so that they'll know how to
get to the world too...

Hope this helps,

Mike

On Fri, 24 Feb 1995, Blade Runner wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 05:19:02 GMT
> From: Blade Runner <blade.runner@horizon.org>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: IP Forwarding
>
>                     ----------------------------------------
>
> >From : BLADE RUNNER
> To   : ALL
> Subj : gated
> Numb : 90 of 90                              Date      : 02/23/95 10:17p
> Read : NO                                    Reference : None
> Conf : 1305 - comp.os.386bsd.questions       Private   : NO
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.0 running on a machine with a SLIP connection to the
> internet and an ethernet card connected to my Netware LAN.  Routing
> seems to be working properly.  From the FreeBSD Machine I can ping the
> Netware Machine (which is running TCPIP.NLM) and it sees the netware box
> fine.  From The FreeBSD Machine, I can ping other hosts on the InterNet
> Just Fine.  From the Netware Machine, I can Ping the FreeBSD Machine
> just fine; however, The Netware Machine cannot seem to see anything past
> the FreeBSD Machine (Not even the Machine the FreeBSD Machine is SLIPing
> with).
>
> There is a blurb in the FreeBSD.FAQ file refering to "gated" and freeBSD
> not Forwarding IP.  It suggest recompiling the kernet with the gated
> option in the kernel's option file.
>
> My Question is do I need to do this to get the FreeBSD system to pass IP
> through to the InterNet, and if so....Big Question HOW????
>
> I do not know what a kernel configuration file is...Would not know where
> to look for it or even how to begin to execute a recompiling command.
>
> Can someone please help me????

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |