Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:49:58 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>, Mit Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs to awake and come out of SERVER only market!

On Tuesday, October 02, 2001 16:12:20 -0500, James McNaughton
<jtm63@enteract.com> wrote:
+-----
| "Mit Rowe" <mitayai@dreaming.org> writes:
| > I wouldn't use FreeBSD for a desktop if my life depended on it.
|
| Yet for me at home, FreeBSD _is_ my main desktop. I use WinXX for
| gaming only.
+--->8

I use FreeBSD as my main desktop... but it's far from perfect.

"Windows' stability is the best argument for Unix.
 Unix's desktops are the best argument for Windows."

I keep hoping Microsoft will roll a version of Windows that (a) doesn't
have a UI that affects me like chalk squeaking on a blackboard and (b)
doesn't fall over on me constantly.  The former is merely annoying, but
even with Win2k I can expect IE or the desktop to crash on me (and in the
latter case auto-restart) several times a day.

(Note that (a) this happens to me even on a stock install, (b) it *doesn't*
happen to most people, and (c) it doesn't happen if I give it limited use,
such as a vmware session in which I only run IE; I assume my normal usage
patterns just push it beyond its limits.)

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu