Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:12:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, eagle@phc.igs.net
Subject:   Re: A BSD-licensed GUI toolkit?

> > I think that it's about time that a good GUI toolkit for X be developed
> > and released under the two-clause BSD license, both so that developers
> > like myself can release software with a clean conscience, knowing that's
> > *free* and completely unencumbered, not just "Open Source(r)", and to
> > encourage commercial developers to port their software to Unix/X11, as
> > they would not have to purchase a Motif or Qt license, use some LGPLed
> > library, or write their own toolkit from scratch.
>
> *nods*
>
> Very good points.
>
> > Would anyone here be interested in participating in such a project by
> > leading it, hosting it, writing code for it, helping to design it, or in
> > any other way?
>
> Leading such a project would be better off in hands like someone as Terry.

I already have a Motif clone partially completed.  It runs up through
chapter 4 in the Young book, and all O'Reilly examples, but is a hell
of a long way from Mozilla.

My criteria for participation are harsh:

1)	You must not own or otherwise have access to a copy of Motif,
	unless you are in charge of compiling statically linked
	comparative binaries.

2)	You can only work from published information in books and
	source code on the net.

3)	You may *not* use the LessTif code base, since they used
	examination of header file contents, name lists of libraries,
	and other quasi-legal means to obtain their information.

4)	All internal structures must be documented as to their
	derivation from public information.

The point of doing this is to ensure that, once complete, the former
OSF doesn't come and rain on your parade when you start taking
market share away from them.

So far, I'm the only participant, and I haven't been participating
for about 8 months.

I am now of the opinion that pursuing Motif is a mistake, but if
you meet the above criteria, I can clean up a snapshot of the code
and ship it off to you, even though I think you would be wasting
your time, in the long run.

If you want to use a mostly complete Motif clone, I'd suggest using
LessTif, which should be around until it really works, which, like
WINE, I think will take a long time.

> I would be happy to donate my already sparse free time on such a project
> wherever possible.

I was always reluctant to pursue it because the whole "look and feel"
issue for applications.  I think that the "look and feel" should be
embedded in the window manager, and that the clients should make
higher level requests, like "create a popup list box" or "Add a
button with the label 'OK'" (this has been my opinion since at least
1988).

I actually believe that the future lies with things like "VNC":

	http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Because VNC can replicate frame buffer contents over a network
(a simplified description, to be sure), you can get rid of most
of the overhead of X11 by declaring that your network transport
is a replication mechanism of some kind.

This basically means that there are three pieces to be built:

1)	A distributed, coherent virtual framebuffer piece with
	an Alpha channel

	This is the tricky part.  This basically allows applications
	on multiple machines to write to the same frame buffer, and
	to introduce clipping based on a police enforced by a
	management piece (traditionally, a window manager) for each
	virtual connection to the framebuffer.

	Clearly, backing store is the responsibility of the client.

2)	A replication piece

	Ideally, you would replicate by taking a virtual framebuffer,
	making it a Corba object, and embedding it in a real
	framebuffer.

3)	A direct-to-framebuffer graphics library interface

	This should probably resemble the Win32 API, in order to
	make applications easy to port.  You could probably
	leveage the commercial backing of the WINE API library
	code (WINE itself continues to languish).

4)	A real framebuffer object, preferrably capable of having
	a CORBA frambuffer object embedded in it.

	This *must* be very thin.  Target it for no more than
	512k.  Expect to implement it on VESA on DOS (or DR-DOS),
	and expect to implement it on a single FreeBSD boot floppy
	or a FLASH RAM card.  It must include transport interfaces.

The idea would be to be able to build the thinnest dispaly and I/O
possible.  Targets include:

	http://www.franklin.com/rex/
	http://www.palm.com/home.html
	http://www.qubit.net/

The last one in this list is the most sexy.  Business Week states
a target retail price of less than $350.

The implied CORBA requirement allows it to all come together with
applications like KDE and KOffice, which are sitting on top of X11,
and as a result, tend to have a very large GUI footprint (minimally,
eight times the available RAM in most portable devices).  It also
allows proxy (assuming a Win32 ABI) for real Windows applications.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.