Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:15:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Libman" <jeffrl@wantabe.com>
Cc:        Daniel Boyd <Daniel.Boyd@vacationclub.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Jeffrey J. Libman wrote:

> interesting. i have managed to do my "make installworld" updates on 3.4
> without dropping to single user in the past. i know this is often
> ill-advised...but i seem to get away with it. is this not possible in
> future releases? or is this only super critical with the 3.4->4.0 upgrade?

	It depends on your system. For years I have always done all of my
make world stuff in multi-user, including major version upgrades. I got
bit twice, and both were recoverable. In fact, one of the two times I even
noticed a difference was when my version of gnuls didn't like the new
lib<somethingorother> so I had to 'unalias ls' for about 20 minutes. :)

	Then again, something in your system might go terribly wrong, and
your machine could blow up (or something). This is why we tell you to take
really good backups BEFORE doing upgrades, and make sure you can restore
from them if need be.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"