Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 00:00:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
To:        current@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UU.NET, SPAM, and Cyberpromotions (was Re: usregsite.com)

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> Does AGIS provide individuals/corporations (besides the spammers) with accounts
> capable of email or browsing?  It might be interesting to add the ability
> (ie. a module) to Apache to check the browsers host domain, and send an
> appropriate 401/402 page to users in an `undesirable' domain.  Something like:
>
> "You cannot browse this site because your ISP is involved in undesirable
>  activities on the InterNet.  If you have an account with a different ISP
>  please use it to access this server".

You can do that without hacking Apache using basic directory/location
access restrictions.

> If enough people started getting these messages from enough places and
> complained, and if the people running Apache also survived the ensuing DOS
> attacks and/or MailBombs, which would surely follow based on their reputations,
> maybe we could scare the companies straight.

I read someplace that a guy was distributing CGI that'd do something
similar. Someone else has written CGI that sends robots into an infinite
loop and contaminates their email databases with as many bogus addresses
as the robot is willing to harvest.

Whatever, there must be a better mailing list than this one to discuss
fighting spammers when it's unrelated to FreeBSD.