Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:27:58 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

> Heck, I'd be happy to try to rewrite the whole fdisk/disklabel junk
> into a nice, easy to use script.  sysinstall is OK, but it isn't as
> nice as I'd like.  Is there a need for this, or are people generally
> happy with the tools we have?

Doing it (mostly) _right_ is going to take time as you have to deal
with a lot of low level details....  Or else it can end up being
just different rather than an easy to use, idiot-proof program to
handle all your low level disk needs.

Some ideas:

- Such a program should also handle newfs, disk scanning (to check
  for bad blocks), update some parameters such as ARRE on scsi mode
  pages etc.

- It should try to infer some common things by looking at disk
  blocks.  Sort of like what file() does.

- It should do some sanity checks.  For IDE disks it should
  cooperate with the BIOS in so far as possible.  I never want to
  see an `operating system not found' message right after an
  install!

- It should *explain* various actions and consequences of such
  actions.  A built-in FAQ would be handy.

- It should allow you a practice run on a normal file.  It should
  also leave an audit trail so you can later try to figure out what
  you did.  It should also allow you to `replay' and modify a
  previous run.

- It should be able to make use of a disk database -- not disktab
  but something that describes the properties of various disks.
  Sort of like a termcap, MIB or PPD.

- It should be easy to extend as disk manufacturers are going to
  add some new kind of disk sooner or later, which will require
  adding some code goop.

- It should allow *moving* a partition or a slice.

- You may want to look at some DOS/Windows disk tools for ideas.

May be what is needed is a frontend script that calls a number of
low level tools, each good at one thing.

-- bakul