Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:13:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dg@root.com, isp@FreeBSD.org, chad@gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > > In this business, you can try to dictate what customers must do - and you
> > > will probably lose some customers.  It is best to try to recommend what
> > > you are familiar with, so that you can assist customers, and they can
> > > benefit from your experiences, but if a customer wants to do something
> > > different, you either let them or lose them.
> >
> > 	Yep, that's true.  That's why we will run everything FreeBSD based
> > since it serves it's purpose and you're a living example of FreeBSD for a
> > newsserver even though some people would argue that SUN's are better just
> > because of the RAID support.
>
> RAID support?

	Yep, the people at PrimeNet were like going, PC's suck....  We ran
BSD/386 before... but I told them, BSD/386 isn't the same caliber as
FreeBSD!

> If you mean Online DiskSuite... HA!
>
> I run a LARGE Sun news server too and I am trying to figure out some way
> to convert it to FreeBSD.  If anybody is telling you that Sun is lots
> better for news, they are wrong.
>
> They are roughly equivalent, but the hardware costs more, and you need
> more of it to do a comparable job.
>
> The Sun stuff is generally very reliable, without any effort put into
> purchasing good hardware.  You can get support contracts.  Some of us do
> not care about any of that.

	Yep, I was telling them that they don't need to really run the
machine since they have product support while a PC doesn't as a PC is
compose of many parts from different vendors...  One other thing they kept
saying was that they can use more HD's and I just had to give them the
3 2940UW with 14 Seagate 23 gig drives on each machine and then they tried
the 7200rpm SCSI Wide thing and I gave them the 9.1 gig Barracuda so they
kept quiet.

> > > If your new ISP does not like a UNIX based router, too bad.  My upstream
> > > provider has remarked a few times about the relative reliability of our
> > > CSU/DSU's and routers, apparently they have problems from time to time
> > > with the stuff they use.
> >
> > 	Just got their reply for CRL and they said that it's probably okay
> > to use the equipment but they can't guarantee their engineers will provide
> > us the help when we need it.  I just told them that we will take care of
> > our router while they can do their best in the Internet connection.
>
> That is a reasonable position to take... they can not be expected to bend
> over backwards to support something that they are unfamilar with.  However,
> it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to support your circuit, etc.,
> as they would any other customer's.
>
> I think that sounds very similar to the agreement I have with my upstream
> provider.  :-)

	Yep, since it's like expecting them to support FreeBSD when they
only know about SUN's so what they should do in the agreement is make sure
the circuit works atleast decently is really what matters.  Since the
hardware, even with BBNPlanet, we ended up calling Cisco to fix the
problem ourselves since the Serial port on the router died and BBNPlanet
kept saying that wasn't the case.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin