Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 1995 23:43:22 -0700
From:      Keith Walker <kew@timesink.spk.wa.us>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Memory errors above 16MB...

This might be a little off topic, but I know I've seen this subject come
across the mailinglist before...

I just upgraded my 486/50DX2 by adding another 16 MB of RAM to it for a total
of 20 MB.  I also upgraded the tag and cache ram (to 16K and 256K
respectively).  All of the memory tests are OK with the toy memory check
programs, but when I run FreeBSD2.0 (the ultimate memory checker), I get
unrepeatable, bizarre errors like programs failing to compile that have always
compiled in the past, tcsh dumping core for no reason, X just freezing up, etc.

Odd thing is, if I take out 4MB to decrease the total system DRAM down to
16MB, everything seems fine.

Now, I seem to remember someone far more knowledgable than me (Terry? Jordan?
Garrett?) talking about some older ISA boards (like mine) that had cache
coherency problems or something like that when more than 16 MB was added.  Am
I right in this one?  Is there a way to test for this problem, short of having
unrepeatable errors all the time?  I'd kinda like to know so I can return the
memory or just learn to live with only (!) 16MB of RAM.

Thanks for your time,

--
Keith Walker                                  kew@timesink.spk.wa.us
Spokane, Washington, USA                      FreeBSD 2.0