Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:08:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, fquestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 104-key keyboard??

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Cory Kempf wrote:

> At 00:49 -0500 98.03.21, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
> >On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >>   Does anybody know if a 104-key keyboard (M$-specific) will
> >>   work to replace my old 101-key keyboard?  I haven't checked
> >>   the docs or keyboard mapping yet; and haven't seen any other
> >>   recent postings about this.   Anybody happen to know?
> >
> >Yes, and under X, and probably under the console as well, you can even use
> >the extra three keys.
>
> Uh, how, and for what?

Well, I started off by putting the following lines in my .Xmodmap

keycode 117 = Menu
keycode 115 = Meta_L
keycode 116 = Meta_R

I then had to modify one of the X startup files to make sure my .Xmodmap
was being sourced.

you can use xev to make sure that the KeySyms are begin generated.

Then, for fvwm-like window managers, you can configure events to happen
when you use these keys like this:

Key Meta_L      A       A       Menu "StartMenu" Nop
Key Meta_R      A       A       Menu "Utilities" Nop
Key Menu        A       A       WindowList

Or, you could use the keys in emacs or other applications, though I never
got around to playing with remapping that stuff.

man xmodmap and man xev should get you started, though.