Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:42:27 -0600
From:      "Nikolas Kauer" <nkauer@students.wisc.edu>
To:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject:   g77 PORT failed on code while g77 succeeds

I tried to build ugs.a (ftp://iris.riken.go.jp/pub/ugs/ugs.tar.gz)--after
installing the lang/g77-0.5.19.1 from the FreeBSD ports collection--with
options '-fno-automatic -finit-local-zero' as recommended by the author.  It
failed with the following errors:

((precompiler??))  uge002.F -> cpp: /var/tmp/ccsomething.i No such file or
directory Stop
after working around that by producing a *.f file with f2c
((libm.a not found??)) g77 -o tryxw ... -> postscr.o: undefined symbol `_cos_'
referenced from text segment (and many more)

These errors do certainly not look like bugs in the program but rather like
bugs in the compiler.
Thus I went through the trouble of building gcc in a different directory "by
hand" (without using the FreeBSD ports system--which does a great job
usually!) after merging in the g77 distribution using the tarballs from
prep.ai.mit.edu.  (Same versions as the operating system's gcc and ports g77.)

Using this g77 to build ugs.a, I did not encounter any problems at all!

I would like to encourage you to see if you can reproduce these errors.  Feel
free to contact me for further information.  I have still both versions of g77
installed on my system, which is still release 2.2.2.