Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:37:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on FreeBSD BIOS?

> > I'd suggest you go talk to Parag Patel, who's just wasted about three
> > months of his life trying to make SmartFirmware run on _one_ supposedly
> > well-documented board.  Parag is nobody's fool, and I consider his
> > results pretty representative of the issue.
>
> Maybe I'm completely mistunderstanding the subject, but
> what about EFI (Extendable Firmware Interface) ? It's the
> new Intel's proposal for BIOS. It's the only thing that will
> be (and is) on IA-64, and also will be retrofitted on the
> 32-bit machines. It's a very flexible thing including extensive
> API, OS-independent loadable drivers, networking, serial console, etc.
> I'm in progress of reading the specs (avaliable from the Intel's
> developer web site), so I don't know more detail yet. The spec says
> that the full source code of reference implementation is available
> for free. By the way, they used FreeBSD as the base of their EFI
> API implementation (libc, networking and other).

It's still entirely useless without the _board_specific_ initialisation
code, which vendors typically aren't going to just hand out.

EFI can layer over an existing PC BIOS (ie. you still need a BIOS), or it
will require board-specific code if it's going to be the native firmware.

The real issue with replacing a system's BIOS is not the top layer
(services etc.), it's initialisation and random magic that is entirely
specific to the board's actual implementation details.