Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:16:46 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crashdumps not working

--nextPart1734767.4xPNOPy8dT

On Wednesday, 8. December 2004 12:54, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > >
> > > If you drop to the debugger by using the debug.kdb.enter sysctl, and =
do
> > > "call doadump", followed by a reset, does a dump get generated
> > > successfully?
> >
> > I don't have kdb enabled in my kernel configuration at all...
>
> I'm guessing it might be useful at this point, if possible :-).

Useful for what exactly? I'm mainly interested in getting this machine to=20
auto-reboot after a (watchdog-triggered) panic, crashdumps are a bonus. At=
=20
the moment, it will just hang on a panic (even if I do not enable crashdump=
s=20
in rc.conf, it won't reset), and since it's usually running X, it will just=
=20
stand there while the CRTs burn in. If you think you can get a clue as to w=
hy=20
it wouldn't crashdump or reset by something I can do in kdb, I will enable=
=20
it ...

> Do you=20
> have a serial console on the box, or could you set one up?

Nope, this is the only machine with a keyboard and a monitor attached.

> > > I.e., are they completely broken on your system, or is this
> > > somehow a property of the particular hang you're seeing.
> >
> > See my other mail, a different (non-watchdog) panic didn't trigger a du=
mp
> > either. I even had the panic message in dmesg:
> >
> > kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > fault virtual address   =3D 0x14c
> > fault code              =3D supervisor write, page not present
> > instruction pointer     =3D 0x8:0xc0521397
> > stack pointer           =3D 0x10:0xe9794b84
> > frame pointer           =3D 0x10:0xe9794b90
> > code segment            =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                         =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > processor eflags        =3D resume, IOPL =3D 0
> > current process         =3D 1281 (beep-media-player)
> > trap number             =3D 12
> > panic: page fault
>
> This is a NULL pointer dereference; you can use addr2line or gdb on your
> kernel.debug to turn it into a line number even without a core.  That
> might well be worth doing, as we might be able to debug that even without
> getting dumping working on the box.

It's a SCHED_ULE + PREEMPTION triggered panic, probably there's no point in=
=20
investigating it at this point, as _ULE has been demoted to abandonware :-(.

> Syncing on panic is, in general, probably not going to make it work better
> than not.  I guess there's no chance the box has an NMI button?

Right. I just enabled it for the SW_WATCHDOG experiments (which made me=20
discover that this machine would just get stuck on panics in the first=20
place), I already turned it off again.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org