Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:45:36 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI->IDE

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:42:36PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Stijn Hoop writes:
> > [-current snipped, IMHO not so relevant]
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 07:58:36PM -0800, David Bushong wrote:
> > > Though this is sure to invoke "_you_ try it and tell _us_"...   Anyone
> > > gotten tosha to work with this?  Since cdd broke and dagrab is worthless
> > > quality-wise, AFAICT, and the cdparanoia port to *BSD isn't done...  I'm
> > > left without a good way to rip.
> >
> > That's what I'm looking for too - but cdparanoia is ported to NetBSD (maybe
> > OpenBSD as well), only FreeBSD's SCSI layer is completely different. I've
> > attempted to port it, but this stuff is way over my head. Maybe someone with
> > SCSI subsystem knowledge can take a look at the NetBSD port? :)
>
> cdrdao says it has cdparanoia built-in. Is it lying?

Dunno - I haven't heard of cdrdao, but the pkg-descr doesn't imply that it
can rip CDs, only write CDs in Disc-At-Once mode. Why would it have audio
ripping code then? Maybe I'll check it out, but I'm a bit pressed for time
right now.

> > Haven't heard of tosha, got an URL?
>
> /usr/ports/audio/tosha/

Duh. Well, for me it fails to work:

[root@pcwin002] <~> tosha -d /dev/cd0c -i
Device: /dev/cd0c -- "PHILIPS" "PCRW804" "1.1"
error sending SCSI command: Invalid argument

I get the same error with my CD-ROM. Maybe I'll play with it later.

cdrecord seems to work fine, now that I've added 'device pass' to my kernel
(previously I only had 'device scbus'). Thank you Thomas! Now I can use the
various GUI cd-write frontends, and not worry about obscure mkisofs options!

--Stijn

--
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?