Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:45:45 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, tsikora@powerusersbbs.com, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

David Kelly wrote:

> Peter Wemm writes:
> > Ted Sikora wrote:
> >
> > > During the night periodically my temp warning has been going off.
> > > I have it set to 118F. This happens only under FreeBSD. Linux continues
> > > to run cool at the old temperatures. Apparantly some code change has
> > > caused this. Does anyone know exactly where I should look?
> >
> > The main difference is that Linux halts the cpu in the idle loop, we don't.
> > As a result the cpu is in a tight spin waiting for a process to become
> > scheduleable.  I have some patches half-done that I've been working on for
> > 4.0 that should probably be able to be adapted to the 3.x series.
>
> I'll let others debate whether or not FreeBSD halts the CPU when idle
> or not, or whether this has changed recently.
>
> OTOH Ted has a problem that is being ignored: that his CPU/Heatsink/Fan
> combination is apparently not up to a 100% duty cycle. DOS would cook
> it. As would most games. Or several "make buildworlds" in a row.

Antec and Startech have some dual fans for P-II's. The old P-II style
is hard to find but the K-7 Athalon apparently uses the same style of
fan. One of the vendors has a monster fan for a P-III.

I run setiathome in the background on all of my computers, which keeps
the systems at 100% all of the time. I had a new 250W PS go out in
three days. The fans that come on P-II OEM's is not that great.

It also sounds like he isn't getting enough outside air. You can't
cool if the inside air is hot.

Kent

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html