Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2015 15:15:12 +0800
From:      Wei Shan <weishan.ang@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP DL380 Gen9 Dumb RAID controller

Hi all,

My company is currently looking to use FreeBSD ZFS for our major upcoming
project. Our hardware vendor is HP and we are looking to purchase HP DL380
G9 servers.

Previously we tested HP DL380 G9 servers with Smart array P420i. We were
not able to configure the RAID controllers in by-pass mode. Thus, we
configured each disk in RAID 0 config and we have multiple RAID 0 arrays
for each disk.

However, I understand that ZFS needs to "see" and manage the disks directly
and not through RAID controllers.

I have checked the FreeBSD hardware support matrix but HP H240 HBA
controller is not listed. Can someone recommend me a "dumb" controller
similar to H240 HBA which allows bypass mode so the ZFS can manage the
disks directly.

HP has the following "dumb" controllers which supports pass through mode.

   1. H240
   2. H240ar
   3. H241

Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated. We are under time
constraint so we are unable to buy 1 server to test.

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Ang Wei Shan