Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 04:58:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        jimmy fix <jim_fix@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: bsd flavors

There's no "law" against internal modems as such. I've used a fair number
of 33.6 internal modems to workaround the slow UART chips common in
prehistoric 386's. Be aware however the vast majority of internal 56k
modems are NOT true hardware modems but of the dreaded "winmodem" ilk
.... those disasters certainly don't work in unix. FWIW they don't even
work in Win2000 !!!!