Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2016 09:49:03 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Copying music from FreeBSD to an Xperia Z3

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 15:37:05 +0100, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> hello, world\n
>=20
> I want to copy some mp3 music files onto an Sony Xperia Z3. I naively
> assumed it would show up as a USB mass storage device when I plug the
> USB cable. But all I get in dmesg is
>=20
>   ugen0.4: <Sony> at usbus0
>=20
> How can I copy mp3 files from my FreeBSD box onto the device?

Today's solution is to use MTP. Even though some devices might
present direct access devices, those usually do not work as
intended. You'll need an MTP client (comparable to PTP used
for cameras). There's a FUSE plugin to make it easier to mount
those devices. Additionally check the archives for this topic,
it has been discussed recently (I think this year).

However, if you have _removable_ media in the device, such as
an micro SD card, just use the card for data transfer. I'm doing
the same (with a =B5SD->SD adapter and a host-integrated SD card
reader). Maybe this is worth a try.

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany