Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:51:41 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Matthias_Sch=FCndeh=FCtte?= <msch@snafu.de>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Lukas Ertl <le@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gvinum causing kernel panic when referencing nonexistent partition

Hello Jason,

Am 25.04.2005 um 16:19 schrieb Jason Andresen:

> [...]
> Is there maybe a special place on each drive I could dd /dev/zero to
> clear out all of the vinum information?  I tried clobbering the vinum
> slices on every drive and newfsing them as individual filesystems, but
> that didn't seem to do the trick.

Well, I ran into this as well... it's a bit weird to solve this issue.

The gvinum-infos are on sector #8 ff. of the drive-slices. In your case
'ad{x}s1'.

If you have a valid backup of your data (which should be no problem to
get as a RAID5-plex should survive *one* faulty disk) I would recommend
to erase all sectors #8-16 of all gvinum-drives as your missing drive
is noted in all of these sectors. Then you have to rebuild the whole
gvinum stuff from scratch.

If that's not possible, do a 'dd if=/dev/ad6s1 of=ad6s1.sec bs=512
count=16' and look at the file 'ad6s1.sec' with your favorite
hex-editor. Or better: make a copy of that file and look at the copy
:-) You have to do this for all your gvinum-drives.

The gvinum meta-data starts with the string 'IN VINO', IIRC at sector
#8, that is 4096 bytes offset in the file. The metadata follows this
'magic' string and is plain ascii.

So, now you can either remove all references to 'media4' or perhaps you
try to rename all occurences of 'mediaa' to 'media4' and see what
happens.

The structure of the metadata is defined in
/sys/geom/vinum/geom_vinum_var.h - look at this file first!

I managed to repair my gvinum installation this way but there's no
guarantee, you do it on your own risk!

Please contact le@freebsd.org, perhaps he is willing to assist you
during that operation. He is the 'father' of gvinum so his advice is
sure better than mine...

Good luck - matthias

- --
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F