Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:39:58 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Matt H <freebsd-questions@cuntbubble.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gaming

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00:43AM +0000, Matt H wrote:
> is this a good place to talk about games in FreeBSD?

Gaming stuff usually goes to the -multimedia list.

> I get a little jealous when I see that the Lniux crowd can play stuff like
> Quake & Baldurs Gate 2 in Linux.
>
> I did try to get Wine up and running but to no avail
> (the config was so hairy I couldn't be bothered tbh esp. as I have no
> Fat32 partition, if only I'd known!)

Long ago I tried Wine+Half Life in FreeBSD, but I didn't come further
than the intro screen or so. Wine looks promising, but I think there is
still a lot of work to do before it will run 'out of the box'.

> anyone get the Linux binaries for Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Quake 3
> Arena going? I've got the Windows CD's sitting here gathering dust.

Yes, both of them, although I have the Linux edition of Q3A. But I assume
the Linux binaries can be downloaded. Last time I checked there was only
a Linux *multiplayer* version for RTCW. I was quite p*ssed off by that,
do you know if they have released a full Linux version meanwhile?

> so guys, where should I start ? (and don't say FreeCiv :)

First of all, get your hardware acceleration working, for native FreeBSD
applications as well as for Linux programs. This site may be helpful:
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/ . A lot of the stuff is already in
the ports tree.

Once DRI works, install the Linux game as you would do on a native Linux system,
watch the errors, if any, and try to work around. Usually it's not too
difficult to get it installed. My favourite way is to run the install
script in a Linux shell: /compat/linux/bin/bash <install.run> . It works
most of the time; I played following games in FreeBSD: Quake3 Arena, Unreal
Tournament, Rune, Soldier of Fortune, Descent3, SiN demo, RTCW multiplayer
demo. For Rune and SoF though I bought the OSS driver to get rid of the sound
lag.

Karel.