Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:04:58 +0900
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JVM and native threads

At Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:32:44 +0930,
Greg Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 05:10:10PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:12:38PM +0900, Fuyuhiko Maruyama wrote:
> > > Yes, I also think we need to define some _np calls.  To do so, we need
> > > to consider what APIs are really needed, defined APIs are sufficient
> > > and general enough.
> > >
> > > We must spend more time to discuss about this issue.
> >
> > The primary *_np stuff we need has to do with thread resume & suspension.
>
> The FreeBSD native threads stuff also does some nasty grovelling in the
> pthread private data structure for the stack address and stack size.  I
> know these are handled by _np functions on BSD/OS, but they need to be
> included in any FreeBSD discussion of the pthreads APIs that we need.
When we port HotSpot, all integer registers including Program Counter
will also be needed for GC and On Stack Replacement support, HotSpot
has memory system with precise GC.  I'm not sure that this is enough
for HotSpot, so more study is needed.

What APIs are needed for ORP, Arun?  How do you use NGPT for ORP?

> I suspect this sort of discussion will also apply to NetBSD and OpenBSD.
I see, but I don't know better place to discuss.  Does anyone know?

--
Fuyuhiko MARUYAMA <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
Matsuoka laboratory,