Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nessus <jandrese@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simple no Client/Server Wav/AU player for FreeBSD?

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Nessus wrote:

> Is there a simple WAV/AU player for FreeBSD that doesn't use a
> Client/Server archetecture.  All I want is something that checks the
> audio device, and if it is free, then it plays a sound and then quits.
> Rplay and NAS both hog the audio device, preventing me from playing
> Mods/S3Ms.

For .au's how about....cat!

cat file.au > /dev/audio

Comes with the system, requires no extra memory, and has no arcane command
line syntax.  (I guess 'cp' would work to...cp file.au /dev/audio ?)

A handy utility is 'sox', which does various format conversions.  I use it
to play wav's by converting them to .au's and dumping them to /dev/audio.

sox is in the ports tree.