Date:      Wed, 20 May 2015 18:46:47 -0700
From:      Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports make search?

On May 20, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Polytropon wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2015 16:18:26 -0700, Jeffry Killen wrote:
>> I am in /usr/ports and
>> did make search name='libjpg'
>> It says that INDEX_10 must be built
>>
>> So now I have excuted the command
>> make index
>>
>> As I type this it appears that the process is completed.
>>
>> But it has been going on for around 20 minutes. Is it
>> common or not unexpected to take that long?
>
> If I remember correctly, the index file can be fetched and
> doesn't need to be built locally (which really takes some
> time, as you have noticed):
>
> 	# make fetchindex
>
> When the index is present, things like "make search" will
> work properly.

Thanks;
I notice that in man ports but I am wondering if the fetch version
would be up to date with what I have?

To overload this thread:
I wanted to build php56 and let it fly. It got all the way to libjpeg
and bailed out
with the suggestion that I uninstall the version that i installed from
ports alone,
because it is incompatible with the version that php-extensions is
trying to build
and install.

When I do that and begin the process of installing php56, will it pick
up from were
it left off, or start over from the top?

Precompiled packages might be simpler, but if the prebuild binary does
not have
all the extensions and features that I want, and has many  that I
don't need or want.
I am stuck with it that way.

Thanks for time and attention
JK