Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 14:11:07 -0600
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        robert@chalmers.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [q] postgres95 again. sorry.

> Firstly: I'm running FreeBSD 2.2-SNAP, from Feb/March. Pentium 120.
> I've combed the Makefile.global carefully.

I'm running: 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> Well, I rekon there is a glitch somewhere. Perhaps it is the flex-2.5.3
> after all, but where?

>From flex 2.5.4's (available on ftp://ee.lbl.gov/flex*) NEWS:

  Changes between release 2.5.4 (11Sep96) and release 2.5.3:

	  - Fixed a bug introduced in 2.5.3 that blew it when a call
	    to input() occurred at the end of an input file.

	  - Fixed scanner skeleton so the example in the man page of
	    scanning strings using exclusive start conditions works.

	  - Minor Makefile tweaks.

> I then did the gmake install, checked the log. perfect.
>
> I then tried a "postmaster -d >& pm.log &" startup, and of course it
> bombed. as it should.
>
> I then did the 'initdb", which worked fine,
>
> I then did the "postmaster ...." bit again, and bang! it blows up.

I assume you're running as the correct uid...

> or is it something else. A bad system call indicates something wrong in
> the actual function calls? anyway, here's the little logs of startup;

Do you have SYSV IPC shared memory enabled in your kernel?

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net