Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 02:07:26 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile

If you're writing to me, then please write to me, not to some random
other list then the one I originally wrote things on without Cc to me.
Thanks.

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 06:13:37PM -0500, John W. DeBoskey wrote:
> From: Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
> Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile
>

> Eivind said:
> > >
> > > I can see annoyed users turning this off and _still_ complaining. Current
> > > is turning into too much of a commodity with not enough emphasis of "thou
> > > shalt RTFM and RTSL".
> >
> > I've been thinking of how to say this with a suitable amount of force.
> > One way of doing this could be to stop cvsup access for -current.
> >
> > Yup - if you want to track -current, you track the cvs repository.  If
> > you don't need the cvs repository, you're not developing code, and
> > thus shouldn't be in -current.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is too drastic, but we really should be shooting
> > off those people...
>
>    Well, a dose of reality. Every one of you used to be in the position
> of some of these "people".

No.  Many of the developers did _not_ track -current before becoming
developers.  I know there are several cases of this besides myself.

> You didn't know everything. And sometimes,
> RTFM just doesn't do the trick, especially when TFM is out-of-date
> because you the "developers" changed the code, but not the doc's.

It says 'RTSL'.  If you can't read the source, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO
BE RUNNING -current!

>    Now, with that said... My stupid question: How does one track -current
> without cvsup?  I can't access the repository via nfs, and I don't have
> an account for either pserver or rsh mode...

One learn how CVS works, and cvsup the entire repository.  This cost
about 450MB extra diskspace, but it makes for a much better
development environment - and -current is mostly meant as a
development environment, and should not be used for ordinary
production unless one is very, very much aware that this is something
one do to do FreeBSD a service and will cost a lot of sweat, blood and
tears.

>    Now some praise for the the committers who have been working through
> the bug database. Thanks!

And none for those of us who spend days peering over output of obscure
verification tools?  :-(

Eivind.