Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:21:21 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

> As Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > NTP, AMD, firewall stuff.  Heck, the default 'setup' assumes it can resolve
> > hostnames just to configure your IP address, ...
>
> Huh?  No, Nate, we've abandoned this long ago.  We are using IP
> numbers there to solve the chicken-and-egg problems.

So is there a reason for not having named started at the end of
network_pass1 rather than at the start of pass2 ?  There's even a
comment in rc saying that without resolv.conf, we need to start named
before syslogd (it's actually started afterwards).

The "original" problem that started this thread was that the mount -a
-t nfs fails when there's no resolv.conf.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;