Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:25:29 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Samo Jelov?ek <root@samko.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RELEASE-p5 and alpha

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:48:17PM +0100, Samo Jelov?ek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 and i have weird filing that
> machine is working very slow. I have filing that my alpha machine was
> working faster on 4.11.. All compiling things are very slow, and when i
> go to the phpSysInfo I'm waitng about 10seconds when page get opened. On
> my Linux box, whitch proccessor is 333MHz(Celeron) it take about 2s to
> open phpSysInfo page. Do anyone know what could be the problem here? I
> have Alpha 164SX 128MB RAM..

The gcc-3.x used in FreeBSD 5.x is much slower than the older one used
in FreeBSD-4.x.
This is mostly because the compiler does a harder job in optimising.
All in all my Impression was that alpha binaries run faster if compiled
with gcc-3.
Since your 164SX should have an BWX enabled CPU you might want to try
compiling everything with CPU type set.
Maybe that would help with your phpSysInfo Problem.
If you could name a simpler to analyse case, which feels too slow,
things would be easier.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de