Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:40:21 +0100
From:      Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After perl upgrade: "Can't locate XML/Parser.pm in @INC"

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff [2016-11-09 18:06 +0100] :

> Matthew Seaman [2016-11-09 15:35 +0000] :
>
> > It is possible to use multiple repositories with pkg, but that doesn't
> > mean you can mix any arbitrary set of repositories.  In particular, if
> > you mix a repository build against a current version of the ports tree
> > against one of the quarterly packages sets then the fact that you can
> > end up with different versions of the same package in each repository
> > does tend to have undesirable effects.
> >
> > Multiple repo support works best when both repos are using essentially
> > the same copy of the ports tree, and you use one to provide and overlay
> > for certain packages with non-default options settings.  If one of your
> > repositories is the default quarterly package set,  then I'd recommend
> > checking out the appropriate SVN branch for any package sets you build
> > yourself.
>
> OK. Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation!

So what I did in the end was adding
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with the following content:

  FreeBSD: {
      url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
      priority: 40
  }

My own repositories have priorities higher than 40. And by
changing "quarterly" to "latest" I ensure that the versions are
the same. `pkg upgrade` works fine now.

    Niklaas