Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 22:14:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems in current with a CD-ROM drive

Hi,

I am running current as of 11-30 at about 4PM or so.  I have a Sony 4x SCSI
CD-ROM running on a dual Pentium machine that suddenly has stopped working.
What I mean is, it no longer can correctly play audio CDs.  Here is the
relevant dmesg output:

bt0: <Buslogic Multi-Master SCSI Host Adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 17 on pci0.19.0
bt0: BT-946C FW Rev. 4.25J Narrow SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, 100 CCBs
cd0 at bt0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <SONY CD-ROM CDU-76S 1.1c> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
cd0: 5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 15)
cd0: cd present [214790 x 2048 byte records]

There is also one 1GB HP disk on that controller.  What happens is, if I load an
audio CD into the drive, and use cdcontrol to play it, the CD plays fine
initially, but when I type stop in cdcontrol to stop it, the process gets
hung.  I cannot kill it or anything.  It gets stuck in cbwait, as is shown
below from top:

PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
417 mestery   -6   0   944K   432K cbwait 0   0:00  0.00%  0.00% cdcontrol

If I type eject from cdcontrol, it will eject, but never close again until
reset.  THe drive's light continues to flicker from busy to not busy, and
once again cdcontrol is stuck in cbwait.  Is this a known problem with the
above setup?  Is anyone else seeing this?  I tried using workman to play audio
CDs, but it hangs upon pressing play.  Not sure if it also hangs in cbwait.
Any pointers would be appreciated!  Thanks!

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Storage Networking Group