Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:13:21 +0100
From:      aledm@pavilion.co.uk (Aled Morris)
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bootblocks won't take to IDE HDD

At 02:12 AM 6/7/95 -0400, dennis wrote:
>In  trying to debug a boot problem described earlier I've found that I can't
>change the boot blocks on my IDE HDD. I've done the "make install" from the
>'i386/boot' directory and then a "disklabel -B wd0" but the old boot blocks
>seem to remain. Running "disklabel -B fd0" seems to work ok. Any ideas?

Do you get any output at all from the disklabel program?  I found that
if you get an error (for example regarding RPM or interleave being "0")
the bootblocks are *not* written.

Use "disklabel -e" and set the errant parameters to something meaningful,
and you will find the problem cured.

Aled
--
telephone +44 973 207987