Date:      21 Feb 96 16:30:08 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thot word processor

chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey) writes:

>On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Marc van Kempen wrote:

>> > I don't remember who mentioned Thot -- anyway, I tried it, it runs, but when
>> > you try to create or open any document:
>> >
>> > Undefined C library functions:
>> >         1. light C shared image (Use the real one instead.)
>> >
>> > ... and dies quietly.
>> >
>> > 							-- Phil
>> >
>> You need a newer Linux library, unfortunately all new libraries
>> are QMAGIC, but you need ZMAGIC libraries.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea how to get to new ZMAGIC libaries???

>I have spoken with a friend who runs Linux, and he says if we tell him
>exactly what we want, he can probably get it.  He's not a beginner,
>either, but I can't tell him, I know nothing about Linux and I haven't
>tried any Linux emulation myself.  If you guys can send me a message
>describing what you need, exactly, well, let's see what he can do, OK?

BTW: -current's Linux emulator now does QMAGIC just fine, as well as ZMAGIC.

QMAGIC is ***much*** preferred, as it allows proper shared libraries.
If you use ZMAGIC libraries, you do not share any code between processes
and each copy of the program has a seperate copy in memory.  Needless to say,
you run out of memory very quickly with ZMAGIC.

I use the a.out libraries from the slackware 3.0 distribution. I dont know
if there are newer versions out now.

-Peter