Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:01:46 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Witt <dadolfwitler@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Access problems

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:20:37AM -0500, David Witt wrote:
> Apparently I don't have permission to get into /usr or any of those=20
> directories.  I try to access them from the shell and it tells me=20
> permission denied.

/usr (and the other system directories you mention) should generally
have read permission and chdir() permission for all users, but write
permission only for root.  Certain files and directories will have
much tighter permissions -- eg. /etc/master.passwd is readable only be
root as it contains the encrypted password hashes.

How, exactly, are you trying to access /usr and what is the error
message the system prints out ?

>                    Whenever I load BSD, it tells me that /var, /, /usr,=
=20
> and /tmp were all dismounted improperly.  I'm sorta confused, I figured o=
ut=20
> the access problems when I tried to install XMMS, and I haven't been able=
=20
> to correct them.  Any help would be great, thanks again.

Sounds like you aren't shutting down FreeBSD cleanly, and consequently
your disk partitions aren't getting unmounted properly.  The vast
majority of the time, the system should survive an unclean shutdown
pretty well but you may lose any recent changes to files that hadn't
been properly flushed to disk yet, and you'll end up with filesystems
in an unclean state that will require a fsck(8) check and repair cycle
on reboot.  If you're really unlucky though you'll do significant
damage to the filesystem that can't be fixed automatically on boot up,
and you'll have to go into single user mode and run fsck(8) manually,
plus whatever else it takes to repair the system (which sort of thing
is getting into real unix guru territory).

In order to shutdown FreeBSD cleanly, use the command:

    # shutdown -h

which will put the system into a 'halted' state where it is safe to
hit the power buttons.

Or if your Motherboard supports it, and you've made the appropriate
changes to your kernel config you can use:

    # shutdown -p

which should do a halt as above, and then automatically power off.  Or
if you want to immediately reboot -- perhaps to switch to another OS
you have installed, use:

    # shutdown -r

Don't just run plain 'shutdown' without options, as all that does is
drop you to single user mode and doesn't go on to unmount the disks
and so forth.  If you do accidentally forget the options on the
shutdown command, just try again with the correct command from single
user mode.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20