Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 11:13:58 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
To:        AlexTu@acer.com.tw
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD source code

AlexTu@acer.com.tw wrote:

> 1. Please show me the FreeBSD source code path.

Look at e. g.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.2-STABLE/src/ for the
sources of FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE. Look around that place for other
snapshots and/or releases.

>   2. I can't find the unpack procedure for PC plateform. Is it
> possible to extract this source code in the PC DOS environment?

Hmm, I don't know any tools for PC-DOS to extract the tar files. But if
by chance you can get access to a PC running MS Windows 95, 98, or NT, I
see two ways to do that:

(a) Install GNU-Win32 by Cygnus Solutions (see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/). This (freely available) package
contains several of the usual Unix utilities for MS Windows (win32). You
shoudl then be able to run the "install.sh" of the FreeBSD source
distribution directly.

(b) Get WinZip (http://www.winzip.com/). Concatenate the files of a
source package to a file with a name ending with .tar.gz, e. g.

    C:\freebsd-sources> copy /b sbin.aa+sbin.ab+sbin.ac sbin.tar.gz

Open the .tar.gz file with WinZip.

Greetings, Juergen.

--
Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>