Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 07:38:05 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to tell ports to work on FreeBSD 3.x

[ cc's trimmed ]

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:20:52AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> The big problem is that the /usr/share/mk files and the
> /usr/ports/Mk files often need to match each other fairly
> closely, since the ports targets frequently use targets
> in included bsd.*.mk files to do their dirty work.

Umm... nope.  They don't correlate all that much (and in fact I daresay
they RARELY correlate).  :)

> There are also rather large issues with things like the
> C++ compiler requirements for KDE, etc..  Unfortunately,
> you can't just upgrade the compiler with a port, even
> though one exists, because building requires use of DESTDIR,
> and that breaks threaded exception handling and RTTI in a
> ports-installed newer version of the compiler, because the
> -I in CXXFLAGS gets forced back to the system defaults in
> bsd.prog.mk and bsd.lib.mk.

That is an actual issue, although it's more about supporting compilers
in the base system that's hard enough of a job.

> Further, there's a lot of _crud_ in the base system these
> days, which brings in a bunch of things, like RSA in
> libcrypto, libssl, etc., which weren't formerly there;
> any ports that link with these libraries are going to
> assume that they are there, if the ports are for a newer
> system; this class of assumption alone will break around
> 20% of all the ports.

Er, yah... why upgrade the openssl & openssh ports if they don't help
the majority.. that's the mentality here.  And it makes sense too.

> If you were to build all of them, and just mark the ones
> that didn't work as being broken, that would be a heck of
> a lot better "support" for 3.x.

Heh.

> Realize that you will probably need to clean out /usr/local
> on the machine you use for this, and be prepared to xfer
> about 400M during the whole process (into /ports/distfiles);
> incrementally, you'll have to reclean /usr/local, so that
> you don't get any dependencies satisfied by side effect.
> When Satoshi builds the packages, he uses a cluster of 8
> machines, and cleans out /usr/local after each build to
> ensure against accidental success.

Umm... 400M?  What kind of crack are you smoking?  Try a number a bit
closer to 4GB.  The ports collection has grown a lot since you paid
attention to it, Terry (particularly considering the last time its
aggregate distfiles totaled 400M was long before I knew what FreeBSD was).  :-)

Also, Asami-san's cluster doesn't quite operate in the manner you
mentioned.  It uses chroot's and packages that were built in chroot's.
And a pure, clean binary distribution of the appropriate version of
FreeBSD, grabbed off a snapshot server.

> It really is a lot of work to support ports for old 3.x
> systems properly...

Yup.

--
wca