Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:28:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.ORG, jeremie@le-hen.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror or ata problem

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > However, the strange thing is that _no_ ATA errors were
 > > logged at all previously.  If gmirror disconnects a drive
 > > because of ATA trouble (i.e. a read/write error), I would
 > > expect that the ATA driver should report that read/write
 > > error, shouldn't it?
 >
 > I can't remember if I had such messages.  However I suspect the
 > following messages to be issued by the ata layer:
 >
 > % Jan 29 19:20:26 pluto kernel: ad1: FAILURE - device detached
 > % Jan 29 19:20:26 pluto kernel: subdisk1: detached
 > % Jan 29 19:20:26 pluto kernel: ad1: detached

Well, yes.  Sorry for being unclear.  I meant the disk
driver, not ATA in general.  I expected to get a bit more
than the simple word "FAILURE" from a UNIX system.  ;-)

Typically a read or write error should be reported (along
with the block number), or a time-out, or a DMA error, or
whatever.  Anything.  But a little bit more than just
"FAILURE".

 > The following gmirror error messages is then an expected
 > consequence.

Yes, that's clear.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

It's trivial to make fun of Microsoft products,
but it takes a real man to make them work,
and a God to make them do anything useful.