Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:28:10 +0000
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEPENDS -- is it time to remove it?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:52:50 +0300
"Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 1/5/07, RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
> > Isn't DEPENDS still a sensible way of making
> > one metaport depend on another. For example
> > if someone wanted to create a personal desk-
> > top metaport that depends on KDE, xorg etc.
>
> People need programs, not ports.

It's not that straightforward when you want to depend on a
metaport like KDE. All of the binaries can be provided by individual
sub-ports. The sensible thing to do is create a dependency on KDE and
let KDE's options/knobs handle the lower dependencies. The ports tree
doesn't need to have metaports depend on metaports, but some people
find it useful to create their own.

>It's more
> sensible to run_depend on files than just on
> ports.

Looking at the porter's handbook it looks like the solution is to use
RUN_DEPENDS with${NONEXISTENT}, so I guess DEPENDS is redundant.