Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 1996 23:41:16 +0000
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd@trogon.kiwi.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ttam@mail.iidpwr.com, adam@veda.is, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape mail (out of memory)

> The same problem happened to me when I was using the beta version. I had
> to continually exit and go back in. The latest version is 3.0-RELEASE.

I've been using Netscape betas and now 3.0Gold-RELEASE without a
problem.
Today, one of our users had this same exact problem.  Why did he get the
problem and I didn't?  We were both using the same system, a
2.1.5-RELEASE
system with Netscape 3.0Gold-RELEASE.

I have a local account on the system as deischen that I use to do root
things.  This system also uses NIS and AMD to a Sun Solaris 2.5 box.
The other user doesn't have a local account on the system, so he was
logged in with an NIS user ID/password.  I also have an NIS user ID
and password, though I don't use it as much as I should.  When I logged
in with my NIS user ID, I got the same exact "out of memory" problem.

This system is a P166 with 64MB RAM, with 75MB partitioned swap and
another 64MB of vnode swap.  It's sharing a directory via NFS to 5
machines, and is a samba server, but it doesn't have any memory problems
that I can see.  It's also got a load of disk space with all partitions
having a lot of room to spare.  The NIS account home directories are
automounted and there is plenty of disk space for them too.

I got really curious and started poking around with ktrace/kdump to
see if I could figure it out, but wasn't able to.  I noted that Netscape
writes its mail file to /tmp before sending it.  This was fine - we
all had rights to /tmp and I could see the file being written and
then deleted.  Using kdump, I could see the SMTP session with our
SMTP server - everything looked fine, except when Netscape got
around to issuing the "DATA" command to the SMTP server, there was
no mail (no characters at all) after that point.  Whatever it is, it
doesn't end up issuing the mail to the SMTP server.

I also tried using Netscape from my local account while remotely logged
in, at the same time another person was logged in with an NIS account.
He had the "out of memory" problem with Netscape, while I had no problem
at all.

What does using NIS/AMD have anything to do with Netscape mail?  Is it
a per-user limit that's getting hit somewhere?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org