Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:41:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dougal@iquest.com (Dougal Campbell)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition table gone. Fixable?

> I've got a drive whose partition table was damaged somehow. Is there any
> way to restore the partition table, and recover the filesystem data? Can
> this be done with disklabel? The man pages aren't clear as to whether the
> partition table is part of the "label", but it sort of implies such.
>
> Is the data salvagable, or am I just boned?

It is salvagable.  This is a non-trivial task.  It has been discussed
on this list before, and your best bet would be to go through the
list archives.

Do you know if it was the actualy partition table (the front of the
physical disk)?  Or was it just the disklabel (there are options to
disklabel, used during install, that will let you write a label
wothout reading it first).

You will probably need to reset the BSD bootstrap on the disk (-B).

To find the actual FS start offsets, you will need to read through the
disk a sector at a time looking for the FS "magic numbers"; see the
list archives referenced before for details.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.