Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:07:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Elf linker question.

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.981123123834.7263H-100000@current1.whistle.com>,
Julian Elischer  <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> I'm doing some work in a 3.0 system using the elf linker.
> It seems that the new linker is insisting on me including libraries
> that I never needed before.. In other words, I thin it's trying to resolve
> symbols in functions I'm not using. Does anyone have comments on this?
>
> The old aout linker didn't need me to specify libraries that were not in
> my call-graph. THe new one seems to need them.

I really think it was a bug that our old linker didn't complain
about those undefined symbols.  I tried some tests long ago on some
similar systems -- SVR4 and (maybe -- I can't remember) SunOS.  They
complained like our new linker does.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken