Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide win\scsi bsd dual boot

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> I tried disabling all IDE drives in CMOS to force the scsi to boot. No
> go.

hm...

> My CMOS is completely silent regarding anything to do with SCSI. (Award
> BIOS v4.5)

I have an Award in my ASUS board, but ASUS adds support for their SC-200
boards to the BIOS.

> Also, during boot the 2940UW never gives me a "Hit Ctrl-A for SCSI
> Select" that I have read about. Does this tell me anything?

That would be really wierd.  If you don't get that BIOS it would tend to
indicate that the onboard BIOS on the 2940 is disabled or corrupted.

> Also, during boot one can explicitly tell BSD where to boot from. I
> normally boot 0:wd(0,a)kernel. My new disc should boot something like
> $NUMBER:sd(0,a)kernel. How do I find $NUMBER for a SCSI disk?

Try omitting it for starters, then maybe try 1.  $NUMBER is a fudge factor
for the BIOS disk numbers (ie, how to reach 0x82, 0x83, etc.)