Date:      21 Jan 2001 22:50:47 -0800
From:      Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux (some venting)

> What I mean by "Microsoft tint" is prefaced by.........

If no one minds I'll chime in with an opinion, since it seems to me this discussion is verging slightly off it's
intended path.  Also I'll play a little devils advocate here as well.  I dont have 'programming' experience in
 either of the OS'.  I just do perl scripting at work on Sun OS but here is what I've gathered from my
 'experience' with the various OS'.

The *nix OS' lack sufficient documentation for the average user.  I'm a little above the average user so I've
 been able to stumble along getting a Linux box to run.  At work I have a Linux box and found it has just as
 much frustrating moments as my WNT.  For example one time I was composing an email on my Linux
 box in Netscape via my email provider.  I hear the disk grinding along when all of a sudden my browser
 goes MIA.  WTF!!.  I never bothered to figure it out because I was just so disgusted with it.  BTW the
 Linux is RedHat.

Windows is the most trouble free for my minor uses of PCing, surfing the net and putting together these
 emails.  But for development stuff that I do at work and would like to do at home I wouldnt dream of
 Windows in any form.  It is waaay too much of a resource hog with too many fluffy add on's for my tastes.

My frustration with OS doesnt end there, FBSD has proven to have it's draw back's as well.  Namely my
current lack of sucess in getting my internet connection up and running, along with my Xwin looking weird
and me not being able to play my music CD in Xwin (something about permissions).  But the Xwindows
will have to wait until I can connect to my internet.

So what keeps me coming back for more?, well I can actually see where it is I'm going wrong with Linux
 or FBSD and I can 'get under the hood' to fix it.  Sometimes it is necessary due to lack of proper
 documentation....atleast we have these lists.  Or maybe it's the false hope that this provides......

I'm not a geek nor do I profess to be one, I just dont have the time to putz around with a minor thing as
 compared to MS's way of doing something.

But I dislike MS for their business practices if anything, they totally insist on doing things in such a way
 that is to pretend there is no other way besides their way.

Thanks for letting me vent and I hope I've got this stupid email formatted in a readable form.

FWIW,
Steve M