Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:19:46 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: name server

> Hi all
>
> I am using the name server in freebsd 6.1
> there are 2G memory but top is only using
> Mem: 207M Active, 420M Inact, 185M Wired, 112M Buf, 1158M Free
>
> How can I increase the box performance used for name server only?
> I want to use most of memory in cache name server

What makes you think it needs any more memory?  A caching nameserver isn't
a terribly memory-intensive unit.  In the past, I've run quite peppy
systems on a few hundred megs of RAM.

I expect the 207M is all the system actually needs.  Even if you figure
1K per entry, that's still 200,000 names it has cached.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com