Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 1995 15:15:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor nits about bindist...

: Perhaps it is time to add a few more RPC calls to them there daemons
: so you could fire an RPC at them to do most of the things that kill -SIGHUP
: does now.
:
: I have always hated using HUP to cause reloads of data files, I find it
: gross compared to the nice neat stuff that VMS does :-).

VMS usually has a mailbox that you write commands to (gross
simplification).  The mailbox has a protection of some sort.  The
closest thing on Unix is a named pipe.  Maybe a named pipe might not
be a bad idea for things like mountd controlling.

Warner